September 24, 2019 In Desserts
Apple Cake with Cream Sauce
Perfect dessert for the whole family made from fresh Washington apples and topped with a delicious, homemade cream!
YIELD: 12 servings
- 2 apples, Golden Delicious or Granny Smith, cored and diced
- 1 egg
- 2 cups low-fat yogurt
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon each baking powder and soda
- 1tsp. each cinnamon and ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 oF.
- For the sauce: Stir brown sugar and butter in a pan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add cream and stir until mixture becomes bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in ¾ cup of yogurt. Cover and refrigerate sauce until serving time.
- For the cake: Place half the apples in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining yogurt with flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, molasses, oil and egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 45 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Shift to medium speed and beat for a minute until batter is smooth. Stir in the other half of the apples. Pour batter into a greased, lightly floured 8” square pan or Bundt pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To serve, scatter the refrigerated, chopped apples on top of cake slices and serve topped with sauce.
Recipe created by: Washington Apple Commission