Grilled Cinnamon Cherries
A simple, yet wonderful sauce from fresh cherries. Spooned over a favorite dessert, this sauce takes your dessert over the top with compliments that are sure to promote your chef status! Here’s a bonus tip for a refreshing change; try the addition of fresh herbs. With a hint of fresh rosemary, basil or thyme, this becomes a savory sauce that complements any meat dish, but is especially nice on fish, chicken and pork.
YIELD: 4 servings
- 3 cups fresh Dark Sweet or Rainier cherries, pitted
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Place 3/4 cup cherries on each of four 12-inch squares of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle each mound of cherries with 1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar.
- Wrap cherries with a double fold. Fold both ends to make tightly sealed packets. Place on barbecue grill over medium heat and grill packets 8 to 10 minutes, or until cherries are thoroughly heated, but still firm.
- Serve over ice cream or dessert of choice.
Oven Method: Wrap cherries per directions above. Place packets on cookie sheet or shallow pan and bake at 400 degrees F 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cherries from aluminum packets and serve with ice cream, vanilla yogurt, sour cream or whipped cream.
- Serve hot or cold over rich biscuits or pound cake for cherry shortcake
Tips: The following ingredients may be added to the recipe if desired.
- 2 tablespoons toasted blanched almonds
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: 118 Calories, 1 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat (8% Cal. From fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 mg sodium.
Recipe created by: Northwest Cherries