Apple and Grilled Halloumi Bites
For the ultimate quick and easy appetizer, we paired sweet Honeycrisp apples with salty halloumi cheese, a dry Greek cheese that holds its shape when grilled. A drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette gives the apple and cheese combo just the right amount of acidity. A simple but delicious sweet and savory combination that can be skewered for small bites or tossed in a salad with mixed greens.
- 8 oz block of halloumi cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Half of a lemon
- 2 Honeycrisp apples
- Prepared raspberry vinaigrette dressing
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Long toothpicks for serving
- Cut the block of cheese in half lengthwise and heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Put both halves of the cheese in the preheated skillet and cook, without moving it around, until the bottom is nice and brown, about 10 minutes. Flip over and repeat on the other side until the second side is browned. Remove from the heat and cut into cubes.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon half into a bowl of cold water. Cut the apples into thin slices and place in the lemon water to keep from browning until you are ready to use them.
- Layer the apple slices and cheese cubes on a long toothpick and place on a serving platter. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with fresh cilantro just before serving.
Recipe created by: Meg Raines