Sweet Buckwheat Crepes with Roasted Apples
The intense sweetness of the Cosmic Crisp apples are the perfect compliment to earthy buckwheat crepes and the tangy mascarpone filling. Enjoy this dish for dessert or breakfast.
YIELD: 6 crepes
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups diced Cosmic Crisp Apples (2 large, or 3 medium apples)
- 2 tablespoon honey, warmed until runny
- 1 tablespoonunsalted butter, melted
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon honey, warmed until runny
Make the crepes
- Combine all the crepe ingredients, except the water, in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a container, cover and let batter rest for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- When you are ready to make crepes, thin batter with the water (less water for thicker crepes, more water for thinner crepes). Heat a crepe pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray or grease the pan, add about 1/2 cup of batter to the pan while swirling the pan to distribute the batter evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Transfer the cooked crepes to a plate and place a towel over them to keep warm.
Roast the apples
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the warm honey, melted butter and orange juice in a baking dish. Add the apples and toss to coat. Note: Zest the orange (for the filling) before juicing it.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the apples are tender and the sauce has reduced to a syrup. Stirring once or twice during baking.
- Let coolslightly before using.
Make the filling
- Combine the mascarpone cheese, warm honey and orange zest in a bowl, mix well to incorporate.
Assemble the crepes
- Dollop about 2 tablespoons of the filling onto one side of the crepe then fold it in half, and again in quarters. Place the folded crepe on a serving plate and spoon some of the roasted apples over the top. Garnish with chopped roasted nuts and a drizzle of honey if desired. Serve warm. Components can be stored separately in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe created by: Meg Raines