Bruschetta is usually made with a topping of tomatoes, herbs and a sprinkling of cheese, but this summer, why not try a new twist on this Mediterranean favorite. Whether you serve it for snacks or hors d’oeuvres, this variation will be a hit. Toasted slices of baguette are topped with fresh mozzarella cheese and a mixture of chopped fresh sweet cherries, sweet pepper, green onion and lime. A sprinkle of thinly sliced fresh basil and it’s the poster dish for summer. Baguette loaves vary in size so choose the size that fits your need. An afternoon snack with a glass of iced tea may call for the larger loaf. Use the smaller loaves to make bite-sized hors d’oeuvres that are perfect for stand-up parties and wine tastings.
YIELD: 18 appetizers
- 18 slices (1/2-inch thick) small baguette-style bread*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups pitted Dark Sweet cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup each chopped cilantro and diced yellow sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
*Recipe was developed for small loaves about 2-inch in diameter. When using larger size baguettes, use 12 slices.
- Toast one side of baguette slices at 350°F 5 minutes. Turn slices, brush with olive oil and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Combine cherries, cilantro, pepper, green onions, lime juice, lime peel, salt, pepper and remaining olive oil; mix well.
- Top each slice of baguette with a thin slice of fresh mozzarella cheese, a heaping tablespoon of cherry mixture and sliced basil. Serve warm or cold.
Nutritional Analysis Per Appetizer: 63 Cal., 2 g pro., 2 g fat (27 Cal. from fat),
10 g carb., 2 mg chol., 1 g fiber, 142 mg sodium.
Recipe created by: Northwest Cherries