Honeycrisp Baked Apple Chips
If you are looking for a healthy, low calorie snack with a satisfying crunch, try making these sweet and tangy apple chips. They are simple to make and can be baked in the oven, no dehydrator needed.
YIELD: 4 servings (about 5-8 slices each)
- 2 Honeycrisp apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a bowl, set aside.
- Slice the apples crosswise into thin, even slices with a mandolin slicer if you have one, or a sharp knife on a steady surface. Lay the slices out on the lined sheet pans, making sure they do not overlap.
- Sprinkle about half the sugar mixture evenly over the apple slices, flip the slices over and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture.
- Bake for 2-3 hours, flipping the apples slices over after 1 hour. The apple slices should feel dry to the touch and curled up on the edges when done.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack (they will continue to crisp as they cool). Or turn the oven off and let the slices cool in the oven for 3 hours or overnight.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe created by: Meg Raines