Apple Broccoli Salad with Smoked Gouda
Everyone has their favorite version of broccoli salad, and this one is definitely our favorite. We switched out the standard cheddar cheese with smoked Gouda for a sophisticated twist. And the honey mustard dressing lightens it up from the usual mayonnaise-based dressing. Of course, we love the addition of Honeycrisp apples to give this salad its signature crunch and sweetness. I hope this will become your favorite go-to broccoli salad as well!
YIELD: 4-6 servings
Dressing (makes about 1 cup) :
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey, warmed until runny
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virginolive oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 cups of broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, cut into matchsticks or small cubes
- 4 ounces of smoked Gouda, cut into cubes
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- Make the dressing: Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Blanch the broccoli: Fill a large mixing bowl with cold water and about 2 cups of ice water, set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, carefully lower in the broccoli florets and let cook for 2-3 minutes, until crisp-tender. Strain the broccoli and immediately place in the ice water until it is completely cooled. Drain thoroughly. TIP: Spinning the broccoli dry in a salad spinner does a great job at removing excess water.
- Assemble the salad: Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 cup of the dressing. Add more dressing and seasoning as needed. Reserve remaining dressing for another use.
- Serve immediately, or chill in a covered container in the refrigerator. The salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Recipe created by: Meg Raines