Whole Grain Apple Waffles
A chilly morning is the perfect time to cozy up with a hot cup of coffee and a warm stack of waffles. Our whole grain waffles are high in fiber, low in sugar and offer a helping of sweet Honeycrisp apples. Top with apple sauce or diced fresh apples to boost the nutrition as well as the apple flavor.
YIELD: 6-8 waffles
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (regular or dairy free)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded Honeycrisp apple
Chunky Apple Sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the almond flour, buckwheat flour, oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a medium mixing bowl combine the yogurt, egg, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla; mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with the shredded apple and mix just until combined. Let sit until the waffle iron is ready.
- Cook according to your waffle iron’s directions. Serve immediately. Store cooled leftover waffles in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Recipe Created by: Meg Raines