Chicken and Apple Skewers with Balsamic Glaze
Summertime is here and we have the perfect recipe to spice up your grilling game. We added Pink Lady® apple chunks to these chicken skewers for an unexpected caramelized sweetness. A delicious way to include healthy fruit in your summertime meals!
Yields: 6-8 skewers
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts (about 2 chicken breasts) cut into 3-inch chunks
- 2 Pink Lady® apples, cored and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6-8 Bamboo or Metal Skewers
- Combine all of the glaze ingredients in a bowl, whisk well to combine, reserve 2 tablespoons of the glaze in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the cut apples and red onion to a mixing bowl, add half of the glaze and toss well to coat the chunks evenly. Add the cut chicken to a separate bowl and combine well with the remaining glaze.
- Heat a grill on medium-high heat.
- Load the skewers with some chicken, apple and onion chunks, taking care not to pack them on too tightly, and transfer to a plate.
- Grill the skewers, turning once until the chicken is cooked through (test by cutting through a piece to check for doneness, or the internal temperature of the chicken should be 160 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove skewers onto a clean plate and brush or drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of glaze. Serve immediately.
- Leftover skewers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days
Recipe provided to PVM by: Meg Raines